The Certified Pre-Owned Advantage
2. Hood release, hinges, prop rod or gas struts provide proper
3. Check finish (rust, corrosion).
factory instruction stickers.
5. Verify original equipment and displacement.
covers and head gaskets in good condition.
7. Condition of
engine belts, automatic belt tensioner, hoses, and wires.
Condition of hose clamps, retainer clips, and wire casings.
9. Look for areas of concentrated dirt or grime.
ENGINE OIL LEVEL/CONDITION
10. Check engine oil level, verify oil clarity and viscosity.
ENGINE COOLANT LEVEL/CONDITION
11. Check radiator for leaks and damage/fan shroud is securely in
12. Verify that blades of cooling fans are not broken
13. Check coolant level, freeze protection rating.
AIR FILTER INSPECTION
14. Inspect air filter/filter housing for debris (leaves, bugs).
BATTERY LOAD TEST
15. Inspect battery for cracks. Clean and inspect battery top,
posts & cables.
16. Measure battery voltage/conduct load test.
17. Inspect system for loose, cracked or burned wires.
Check wire for short circuits and arcing.
POWER STEERING FLUID LEVEL
19. Inspect power steering fluid level.
BRAKE FLUID LEVEL
20. Locate and inspect master cylinder reservoir, check brake fluid
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL & CONDITION
21. Check all ranges from “Park” to “1st” for proper engagement.
22. Fluid level meets manufacturer’s specified level, clarity and
23. Inspect fuel injection system for proper operation.
Check fuel system for leaks or loose wires and lines.
Inspect evaporative emissions for proper operation.
MANUAL TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL
26. Measure fluid level, clarity and viscosity (if equipped).
MANUAL TRANSMISSION HYDRAULIC CLUTCH FLUID LEVEL
27. Check clutch fluid reservoir for proper level.
WASHER FLUID LEVEL
28. Inspect/fill washer fluid reservoir (front)/(rear, if equipped).
STARTER PERFORMANCE (AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION)
29. Check that starter only operates in “Park” or “Neutral”.
STARTER PERFORMANCE (MANUAL TRANSMISSION)
30. Starts only when clutch pedal pressed all the way down (GM
ENGINE RUNNING, NOISE, VIBRATION & HARSHNESS
31. Check for fluid leaks or valvetrain noise.
33. Fuel delivery system.
cover/cylinder head/exhaust manifold gaskets soundness.
Radiator/heater hoses condition.
36. Power steering pump/hose
37. No squeaking belts.
ABS AND SRS
38. SRS system warning light/self test.
39. A B S system
warning light/self test.
40. Instrument panel/gauge lights and operation.
Electronic instrument cluster, Head-up Display operational (if
42. HVAC/Front and Rear Electronic Climate Control (if equipped).
43. All climate control directional functions/vents working
44. Audio controls, speakers, steering wheel controls (if equipped).
45. Power antenna (if equipped).
46. DVD player
operational (if equipped).
47. Navigation system operational
WINDSHIELD WIPER/WASHER OPERATION
48. Front wiper/washer controls are operational.
50. Rear wiper/washer controls are operational
51. Rear wiper blade (if equipped).
ELECTRIC REAR WINDOW DEFROSTER OPERATION
52. Defroster switch/heating grid operation.
53. Horn operation/sound quality.
54. Cigarette lighter operational, aux. powerpoints operational.
TILT STEERING WHEEL (IF EQUIPPED)
55. Steering wheel locks in each tilt position.
INSIDE REARVIEW MIRROR
56. Rearview mirror adjust, range of movement, Auto dim (if equipped).
57. Map/Reading lights (if equipped).
58. Power windows and controls are operational (if equipped).
59. Sliding rear window/vent windows (if equipped).
OUTSIDE MIRROR CONTROLS
60. Check mirrors for full movement in all directions.
Check that mirrors have good clarity and no scratches or cracks.
62. Heated Mirrors/Personal Memory systems function (if equipped).
POWER SUNROOF OPERATION (IF EQUIPPED)
63. Sunroof opens, tilts and closes properly.
sunroof track for any obstructions or damage.
sunroof seals for any cracks or damage.
REMOVABLE ROOF PANELS (IF EQUIPPED)
66. Roof panel latches.
67. Check roof panel weather
stripping for cracks or damage.
CONVERTIBLE TOP OPERATION (IF EQUIPPED)
68. Headliner condition (if equipped).
69. Check roof
structure for bent rods or damage.
70. Top opens and closes
71. Rear window, glass or plastic condition.
Convertible top seals and clamps.
SEAT FABRIC AND TRIM CONDITION
73. Vehicle seats are free from wear, stains, or tears.
Passenger compartment trim panels fit and finish.
Headliner fit and condition.
76. Driver and Passenger seat tracks are operational.
Adjustable head restraints (if equipped).
78. Folding rear
seatback/Valet Lockout feature (if equipped).
Driver/passenger/rear seat controls are operational.
SAFETY BELT CONDITION/INTEGRAL CHILD SEAT OPERATION
80. All seat belts are operational.
81. Inspect safety belt
webbing and buckles at all seating positions.
adjustable shoulder belts work correctly (if equipped).
Check that integral child seat is operating properly (if equipped).
84. Inspect all child seat hardware and latches.
SUN VISOR OPERATION AND CONDITION
85. Sun visors are operational.
INTERIOR/COURTESY LIGHT OPERATION
86. Check that all interior lights/switches are operational.
REMOTE DECKLID/LIFTGATE RELEASE OPERATION
87. Check operation of decklid/liftgate during remote release.
88. Inspect weather seal for damage.
89. Decklid pull down
feature (if equipped).
REMOTE FUEL FILLER DOOR RELEASE OPERATION (IF EQUIPPED)
90. Inspect operation of the remote fuel filler door release
91. Interior fuel door switch, release mechanism
92. Inspect ashtray for broken, bent, or melted components.
GLOVE BOX OPERATION
93. Inspect latch, lock, and hinges for proper operation.
DOOR TRIM AND LOCK OPERATION
94. Check that all doors open and close smoothly.
operation manual or power door locks, rear door security lock.
96. Check that doors cannot be opened in the “Locked” position.
97. Check handheld remote transmitter operational (if equipped).
98. Check all interior/exterior door handles for damage.
Inspect fit and finish of each door trim panel, armrest, assist
CARPET AND FLOOR MAT CONDITION
100. Inspect carpet and floor mats for burns, dirt, excessive wear.
101. Inspect cargo area trim panels for fit and finish.
Cargo area, door lock switch operation, powerpoint power (if
SPARE TIRE CONDITION/JACK & WRENCH LOCATION
103. Inspect spare tire and wheel condition.
that all tools needed for spare tire change are intact.
HEAD LAMP/FOG LAMP OPERATIONS
105. Headlamp switch, High/Low beam is functional.
Headlamps are aimed properly.
107. Twilight/headlamp delay
feature OK (if equipped).
108. Fog lamps are aimed and
functional (if equipped).
PARKING/BRAKE/BACK UP/TURN & SIDE MARKER LAMPS
109. Front and rear parking lamps.
110. Brake and backup
111. Left/Right turn signal lamps.
HAZARD WARNING LIGHTS
112. Hazard warning lights work with vehicle running/not running.
WHEEL AND TIRE CONDITION (INSPECT PRE-TEST DRIVE AND IN
113. Tires meet 4/32″ minimum requirement.
covers/wheel centre hubs OK (if equipped).
115. Tire side
walls, valve stems, and wear pattern.
116. Tire size/correct
air pressure/lug nuts secured.
117. Inspect wheel rims for
SHOCK ABSORBER TEST
118. Front shock absorbers/strut assembly.
119. Rear shock
BRAKE SHIFT/TRANSMISSION INTERLOCK (AUTOMATIC
120. Gear selector cannot be moved out of Park unless brake is
TRANSMISSION OPERATION (AUTOMATIC)
121. Transmission gear engagement/shift points are smooth.
TRANSMISSION OPERATION (MANUAL)
122. Clutch pedal/gear shift engagement.
123. No transmission
124. Engine driveability/performance.
125. Power assisted braking system is functional.
parking assistance monitor operational (if equipped).
Anti-lock brake system warning/self-test light is functional.
128. Anti-lock brake system functional (if equipped).
Vehicle tracks straight under hard braking conditions.
130. No abnormal vehicle noise, vibrations or harshness identified.
131. Vehicle cornering dynamics.
132. Vehicle has no abnormal
CRUISE CONTROL (IF EQUIPPED)
133. Cruise control holds a set speed/adjustments work properly.
TRANSMISSION CASE INSPECTION
134. Transmission case/pan structurally sound.
MANUAL TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL AND CONDITION
135. Fluid level, clarity and condition.
TRANSFER CASE (4-WHEEL DRIVE MODELS)
136. Fluid level, clarity and condition.
case/skid plate structural condition.
BRAKE SYSTEM CONDITION
138. Brake rotor/drum surfaces.
139. Brake pads/shoes have
40% or more remaining pad life.
140. Brake shoes have 40% or
more remaining life.
141. Parking brake operation.
ENGINE MOUNTS/FRONT SUSPENSION LINKS & BUSHINGS
142. Inspect all engine mounts, grommets and bushings.
Front suspension links/sway bar/mounts.
STRUTS AND SHOCK ABSORBER CONDITION
144. Shock absorbers/struts free of leaks and damage.
STEERING SYSTEM CONDITION
145. Inspect structural condition of all steering system elements.
CV JOINT DUST BOOT CONDITION
146. CV dust cover boot void of rips/damage.
DRIVE AXLE, AXLE FLUID LEVELS
147. Drive axle meets Manufacturer specifications.
Inspect differential case for fluid leaks.
axle fluid level.
FUEL TANK SYSTEM CONDITION
150. Fuel tank and delivery lines are sound, no fuel odour.
151. Vehicle shows no signs of collision damage.
152. Exhaust system hung/routed properly, meets structural
integrity, exhaust tone.
ENGINE OIL AND FILTER CHANGE, CHASSIS LUBE
153. Lubricate all chassis points, perform engine oil and filter
EXTERIOR WEAR AND TEAR INSPECTION WINDOW GLASS
154. Inspect all glass surfaces for chips and cracks.
155. Inspect hood for proper alignment with fenders, grille, and
156. Inspect hood’s finish for dents and scratches.
GRILLE, FRONTER, AND FASCIA CONDITION
157. Check thater guards and rubstrips are securely fastened.
158. Check grille, fronter, or fascia alignment/condition.
159. Vehicle is free from road tar and tree sap.
DRIVER SIDE FENDER, DOOR(S), QUARTER PANEL CONDITION
160. Inspect for panel alignment, finish quality, previous body
161. Weather seals, placement/condition.
Bodyside mirrors, mouldings and badging properly secured.
DECKLID, LIFTGATE, TAILGATE OR REAR CARGO DOOR CONDITION
163. Inspect the rear body panel surfaces for dings, dents and
164. Decklid, liftgate or rear panel doors.
165. Weather seals, placement/condition.
tailgate/bed/side rails (if equipped).
167. Bedliner OK.
REAR BUMPER/FASCIA CONDITION
168. Inspect all rear trim components for proper fit, no collision
169. Check that aller guards and rubstrips are
PASSENGER SIDE FENDER, DOOR(S), QUARTER PANEL CONDITION
170. Inspect areas for panel alignment, finish quality, or previous
171. Weather seals, placement/condition.
172. Bodyside mirrors, mouldings and badging properly secured.
173. Inspect mast antenna, antenna secured.
174. Engine compartment is clean/degreased.
compartment has been cleaned/detailed.
176. Vehicle exterior
has been washed/waxed/detailed.